Start With Why
Personal growth is for everyone. So The Team at Croydon Vision relish taking part in Peer Support sessions, where we explore ideas to help each other be the best we can be. This quarter we’ve all been reading Simon Sinek’s superb book “Start With Why” and then exploring the thoughts and feelings it’s thrown up between us.
The basic premise of the book is how important it is to work out, probe and stay true to your ‘Why’, namely the purpose, cause or belief that drives you. Once you’ve established your ‘why’ it should motivate your ‘how’ and in turn your ‘what’.
On the face of it, ‘Start With Why’ may seem like a book about leadership or business but in reality Sinek’s ideas and ideals have the potential to permeate every part of our lives and crystallise our sense of purpose and as such our efficiency, success and sense of fulfilment.
We have audio recordings of the book in full at Bedford Hall, so please do get in touch with Natalie at reception if you’d like to explore it. In the meantime, here are a few questions we considered and discussed as a team after reading it:
- What is your why? (i.e. What are you passionate about?)
- How much is that ‘why’ part of your everyday life?
- Are you able to be your authentic self in your day-to-day life?
- How do you communicate your beliefs and values?
- Who do you have around you who adds to your life?
- What thoughts or activities distract you from your ‘why’?
- What would you like colleagues, friends and family to say about you in a eulogy?
Simon Sinek also recorded one of the most popular TED talks of all time (54 million views and counting). Follow the link below to take a look: