“I appreciate Croydon Vision very much, it is a community that develops my skills, especially on tech”- RA.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the Questions to view answers


Q) How do I subscribe to the Talking news?

A) Affiliated members receive the talking news, this will be one of the options on our membership form. Otherwise, you can request to be added to the talking news, by email info@CroydonVision.org.uk or calling reception on 020 8688 2486 Ext 1.


Q) How much does the Talking News Cost?
A) The cost for the talking news is £10 a year, subscriptions are due in January.  
Q) How do I pay for the Talking News?
A) You can send a cheque or pay in reception by cash or card.
Q) Do we have a befriending service?

A) We provide a telephone befriending service, if you would like to be a part of it please contact info@croydonvision.org.uk or phone 020 8688 2486

Q) Do we do home visits?

A) We provide home visits for

  • Advice & Advocacy
  • IT & Resource Centre
  • Personal Development
Q) How do I Volunteer?

A) The first step to becoming a volunteer is to email or call us 0208 688 2486 Ext 1 or reception and express your interest in either a particular role you have seen or if you would like to explore the roles available. 

You will be sent an application form if you haven’t already sent one through, and arrange a meeting to discuss opportunities and for you to tell us a little bit about yourself. 

Once we find a suitable role, we will apply for your enhanced DBS and reference. Following the above check, we will start the induction and training process. As soon as you have completed a twoweek trial to see if you like the role you will become a fully-fledged volunteer. 

Q) What is the Children and Young People Project?

A) This is aimed at children and young people who are visually impaired or who have sight loss. A range of fun, physical and educational activities run monthly and during every school holiday and half term. Checkout the children & young peoples page

Q) What is the Working Age Project?
A) This is aimed at those of a working age who want to find out more about the opportunities to train, get into work or even volunteer. 
Q) What is the over 65s?
A) This includes a range of physical and craft activities, social groups and quiz groups aimed at those who want to enjoy their retirement with like-minded people. 
Q) What is the Resource Centre?
A) The Resource Centre houses a variety of practical and technical items to try out.  

We can also demonstrate kitchen items, lighting, games and technology. We facilitate the replacement of certain batteries, specifically those in Cobolt watches. 

We have a stock of bright orange bumpons and thick pens. 

Q) Do I pay for services?
A) The following services require payment: 

  • Art. 
  • Pottery. 
  • Yoga.
  • Keep Fit. 
  • IT training. 
  • Transport. 
  • Lunch. 
  • Excursions.


Q) What is PIP?

A) Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people with long-term illness or disability.  It has replaced Disability Living Allowance for anyone making a new claim. 

Q) Who can support me in a PIP application ?

A) Our Advice and Advocacy Officer can support you, you will need to book an appointment through reception 0208 688 2486 Ext 3.


Q) Is there an induction process?

A) An introduction of activities is arranged with our Advice & Advocacy Officer. 

Q) Who do I contact?
A) Contact Reception on 020 8688 2486 to make an appointment to become a member. 
Q) How do I join?

A) Click on our membership page for further information. Alternatively, email info@CroydonVision.org.uk or call reception on 020 8688 2486 Ext 1. 


Q) Is there a membership fee?
A) There is no membership fee. 


Q) What is our Area?

A) Our Priority is to serve residents of CroydonThere are other sight loss charities that may be of assistance:- 

Sight Advice FAQ – The Sight Advice FAQ answers questions about living with sight loss, eye health or being newly diagnosed with a sight condition. This includes those who are supporting people through their sight loss journey, including parents, partners, carers and friends. https://www.sightadvicefaq.org.uk/

Kent Association for the Blind (KAB) https://www.kab.org.uk/  

Sutton Vision https://www.suttonvision.org.uk/  

Merton Vision https://mertonvision.org.uk/  

Sight for Surrey https://www.sightforsurrey.org.uk/  


Q) What is ECLO?
A) Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) are on hand throughout Moorfields to assist anyone experiencing sight loss, or their relatives and carers, to access the support they may need when they need it. 
Q) How do I contact the Croydon Sensory Impairment Team?
A) Call: 020 8726 6000 ext.62123 


Q) How do I contact the ECLO?

A) Julia Smythe is the Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) for Moorfields Croydon. Email: Julia.smythe@nhs.net 
Telephone: 0208 401 3000 Ext 5805

Q) How do I contact the RNIB?
A) Visit their website here – https://www.rnib.org.uk/about-rnib/contact-us  

or Call 0303 123 9999 


Q) How do I contact the Thomas Pocklington Trust?
Q) How do I contact Metro Blind sport?
Q) How do I contact Visionary?